Each year Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funds bill gates scholarship to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. 80 The studentships are awarded annually. These are prestigious and highly competitive awarded to citizens of any country outside the UK. Bill gates scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge.
Gates Cambridge The studentships are one of the most prestigious international awards in the world. The programme was established in 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university.
Gates Cambridge The studentships are prestigious, highly competitive full-cost scholarships. They are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Study Subject(s): The studentships are awarded to study any subject at the postgraduate level offered by the University of Cambridge.
Course Level: The studentships are available to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Scholarship Provider: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
The award can be taken at the UK
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three-year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two-year research-only degree); or a one-year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR already a student at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course. For example, if you are studying for an MPhil you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to do a PhD. However, if you have already started a course, you cannot apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to fund the rest of it.
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates.
- Scholarship Open for Students of Following Countries: Citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom can apply for these bill gates scholarships.
What does it cover?
For 2020 entry, Gates Cambridge will offer 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge.
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2020-21 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Number of Awards: 80 Scholarships each year are offered.
Duration of Award(s): Scholarships award amounts depending on the length of the chosen degree course or Study project, 12 to 24 months. Initially, opportunities are for a given academic year and have performed well according to the duration of the study program extended on request.
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is electronically or by post.
-outstanding intellectual ability
-a commitment to improving the lives of others
-a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge for which they are applying.
Notification: Not Known
application Deadline:The deadlines will be:
- Round 1 (US citizens based in the USA) – 9 October 2019 for entry in October 2020.
- Round 2 (all other eligible candidates) – Dependent on your course – either 3 December 2019 or 7 January 2020